Monday 26 November 2012

Why I Applaud those Who Rant

I am probably one of the few people who finds the tweets of Joey Barton thoroughly entertaining. I don’t agree with 99.9% of the things he talks about, but the way in which he is so forceful and determined to prove others wrong is just hilarious.




David Mitchell and Jeremy Clarkson are also two other celebrities who are in a similar vein. There are very few views Jeremy Clarkson and myself share. He has an absolute disregard for environmental matters, he is incredibly self-centred; and his political views are bordering on far right at times.

But the way in which he shows utter contempt for what people think of his opinions, and the forceful and amusing manner that he uses to airs these views has held my respect since I first started watching him.

And it’s not just ranting celebrities that I have respect for either. Journalists who write articles, friends who Tweet and Facebook with passion, anger and vigour. I can’t deny it, but it really does bring a smile to my face when I read them.

And I can’t fully explain why I enjoy it so much and why it’s become a pillar of my personality.

It could be partly down to the fact I spent most of youth as a guitarist and vocalist of an angry punk band which, by the way, you can still find our Myspace here: www.myspace.com/BeyondRepair

Writing those lyrics remonstrating against all the ills of society and shouting them out (with real anger I must add) on stage during our songs, whilst trying to prove a point to the world. It was just so refreshing, liberating and ultimately satisfying.

My mother is a similarly strongly viewed, person who will stop at nothing to ensure her opinions are heard. It could just be a simply case of genetics, if you’re in the school of thought that personalities can be biologically inherited.

We need more of these personalities. It’s not the people who keep their head under and plod along who get noticed. It’s the people who stick their head out and make a scene that do. Who's views do you remember more: John Major and Ian Duncan Smith? Or Jeremy Clarkson and Joey Barton?

It’s healthy to let these feelings out. If we bottle them up, what happens? Breakdown of relationships with friends and partners? Increased stress at work? Mental breakdowns resulting in the person in question picking up a shotgun, walking into a supermarket and shooting everyone in sight?

I shudder at the thought.

As Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day once said “It's sexy to be an angry young man, not a bitter old bastard.”

And whilst I’m still in my twenties, I will continue to live by this mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment